So, what features will you find in an ENERGY STAR qualified new home?
- Effective Insulation - Compared to homes built to the base building code, ENERGY STAR qualified new homes will have much more effective insulation. It will have stronger insulation properties and will be more thoroughly insulated.
- High Performance Windows - Compared to homes built to base building code, ENERGY STAR qualified new homes will use windows that are, at minimum, 25% more efficient than code. More efficient means less heat coming in during the summer and less cold during the winter.
- Tighter Construction - Compared to homes built to base building code, ENERGY STAR qualified new homes will have less air leakage. This means fewer drafts. This means that pathways for air to leak into our out of that home are closed. I know. I know... everybody says that a house has to breathe. No, a house does not have lungs. Yes, you need fresh air brought into the house, but not through uncontrolled pathways.
- Tighter Heat and Air Ducts - Compared to homes built to base building code, ENERGY STAR qualified new homes, the heat and air ducts are, at minimum, 50% more efficient. What does that mean? That means that whether the ducts are in the attic or crawl space makes no difference because the air you are paying to condition is getting back into your living space where it belongs.
- Energy Efficient Heating and Cooling - Compared to homes built to base building code, ENERGY STAR qualified new homes, the heating and cooling equipment will use less energy to condition the air in the home.
- Efficient Water Use and Water Heating - Compared to homes built to base building code, ENERGY STAR qualified new homes will use less water without a loss of water pressure. WaterSense products are designed to reduce water use throughout the house for all of your water needs. Also, the water heating systems will heat water at less cost.
- Energy Efficient Appliances - Compared to homes built to base building code, ENERGY STAR qualified new homes will come with ENERGY STAR appliances. These appliances will offer substantial savings versus their less efficient counterparts.
- Cleaner House - Compared to homes built to base building code, ENERGY STAR qualified new homes are less dusty and have cleaner air to breathe. No, it does not require a special filtration system. The tighter air ducts and the tighter construction eliminate that paths that dirty, dusty air would use to enter your home. Filtered fresh air is brought in either through direct connection to the heating and cooling system or through a separate ventilation system. This also helps eliminate problems with moisture, dust, pests, and other types of unclean things into that ENERGY STAR qualified home.
Do you see the value in an ENERGY STAR qualified new home yet?
- Healthier Home - When you don’t have the dust, dirts, moisture, and various allergens entering your house, the health risks they cause are minimized.
- Cost Savings - Compared to homes built to the base building code, ENERGY STAR qualified use less energy for heating, cooling, and water heating. Depending on the home, savings could be up to $1,000 per year in utility savings. Cleaner air in the home can help lower healthcare costs. You also will find savings in house maintenance costs over time.
- More Comfortable - ENERGY STAR qualified homes more efficiently keep cold out in the winter and heat out in the summer through better insulation as well as more efficiently designed heating and cooling systems. This gives that home consistent comfortable temperatures throughout.
Learn more about ENERGY STAR qualified new homes
Your ENERGY STAR qualification process for your new home includes the following:
- Plan and specification review and projected energy model to determine if the house is on target for qualification
- A pre-drywall inspection to review the framing and air sealing of the house (and HVAC system)
- A second pre-drywall inspection to review the insulation of the house
- A final inspection and test to assure that the house meets all of the standards required for ENERGY STAR qualification.
Call 478-697-5609 for more information